Shouldn't glibc-devel r: kernel-headers?

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld.org.pl
Wed Oct 16 12:21:59 CEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:10:58PM +0200, Michal Moskal wrote:

> > > Kernel 2.4+ headers are no longer intended to be used in userspace.
> > > Eg., you must hack them in some places to use them with C++.
> >
> > Where? I didn't change anything in 2.4 headers and don't see such
> > problems (after recompiling glibc on those headers).
> > But I did see strange type conflicts when I tried to use fresh kernel
> > headers with glibc compiled on older headers (that was in 2.2.1x era).
> > Those problems dissapeared after recompiling glibc.
> >
> > > So providing own copy of hacked kernel-headers included into glibc-devel
> > > seems to be the only choice when we switch into 2.4/2.6.
> >
> > I agree - kernel headers in /usr/include/{asm,linux}, in glibc-devel
>                                                 ^^^^^
> If program does include <linux/...> it probably should
> -I/usr/src/linux.

I don't think so... user space programs usually include <linux/*> only
for ioctl numbers and similar things.
Also, many glibc headers and <asm/*> headers include <linux/*>.

Using -I%{_kernelsrcdir}/include to compile programs would require
recompiling glibc after each kernel headers upgrade (required to build
modules for new kernel).

--
Jakub Bogusz