pld linux general questions

Adam Gołębiowski adamg at biomerieux.pl
Fri Jun 18 12:27:37 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:06:45AM +0200, lubos klokner wrote:
> i would like to know if pld 2.0 is ready to use, and if it is possible
> to upgrade from version 1.0 (ra) to 2.0 by using poldek. i would like to
> test it on my personal server (now running pld 1.0).

Well... yes.

Most of us (including myself) are already using 2.0 on their servers and
are satisfied with its stability - even though sometimes you still have
to be carefull when performing an update.

As for an update. There is a simple shell script called ra2ac that can
be used to ease the migration process a bit (after all, there are many
differences between 1.0 and 2.0).

This page may be heplful:
http://room-303.com/html/instalacja_upgrade.html

It is (still) unofficial english translation of our documentation.

> i like pld linux very much, but sometimes i'm afraid of future of
> pld linux.

Don't worry. We're here, and we're not going anywhere soon :)

> there are no security advisories

That's true. Although we don't release any security advisories, we are
fixing any flaws that are found. We track various security lists in
search for any "news" in that matter.

> or any other informations about new packages.

There are so many new packages build everyday that it would be hard to
create reasonable way of informing users of what's going inside the PLD.
The best method I know, is doing "poldek --up" everyday :)

> last few weeks i was unable to access pld linux web page, but
> nobody post any informations into mailing list :-(.

Ahm, you're right. There were information sent to some lists, but not to
this one. Our mistake.

> i know, that pld is Polish Linux Distribution but it would by nice to
> have at least some news in english language.

Well, not exactly. It used to be Polish Linux Distibution some time ago
(more then two years?). Now we are using recursive acronym - PLD stands
for PLD Linux Distribution.

And as for the news in english. You're absolutetly right. If I have
enough determination, I'll try to work on it after my exams.

--
http://www.mysza.eu.org/ | Everybody needs someone sure, someone true,
   PLD Linux developer   | Everybody needs some solid rock, I know I do.