second locale language ?

havner havner at smtp.kamp.pl
Thu Oct 7 03:36:42 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 03:01:18AM +0200, Bobby Spark wrote:

> I'm living in Spain, exactly in Valencia, where local language is
> Catalan (ca_ES), and state language Spanish (es_ES) and a see necesity
> of something like second locale Language, becouse many people prefer see
> programs they use in ca_ES, but they normally chose es_ES as their
> language becouse there is more programs translated into Spanish than
> into Catalan, and this is done by setting LANG=es_ES, so language is
> changing everywhere
>
> I was thinking is it possible if LANG=ca_ES and some program
> is not translated into Catalan, then it will be in Spanish, not in 'C'.
> There is many, many people who know better other (not his own) language
> than english, and they are in similar situation.

info libc
locales -> locale categories

   When developing the message translation functions it was felt that
the functionality provided by the variables above is not sufficient.
For example, it should be possible to specify more than one locale name.
Take a Swedish user who better speaks German than English, and a program
whose messages are output in English by default.  It should be possible
to specify that the first choice of language is Swedish, the second
German, and if this also fails to use English.  This is possible with
the variable `LANGUAGE'.  For further description of this GNU extension
see *Note Using gettextized software::.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everything is described there although after short try i couldn't make
it work.

f.e. mc has both, es and ca
aumix has only es

$ LANGUAGE=ca_ES LC_ALL=es_ES mc
and i get ca, that's ok

$ LANGUAGE=ca_ES LC_ALL=es_ES aumix
i get english

Probably I make some mistake, but as you can see (according to this
description) it should be possible.

--
Regards    Havner                      {jid,mail}:havner(at)pld-linux.org
PLD developer && PLD 2.0 release manager         http://www.pld-linux.org