SOURCES: X11-glibc-charset.patch (NEW) - patch to use

Paweł Sakowski pawel at sakowski.eu.org
Mon Sep 27 15:06:12 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 02:34 +0200, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> Hmmm, but tg_TJ.KOI8-C _is_ supported by X and KOI8-C is not so different
> from KOI8-T. So maybe mapping "tg_TJ" to not-fully-compatible locale here is
> not so bad as making it fully unsupported.
> Porting KOI8-T to X may be easy but non-existent KOI8-T fonts may be a
> problem.

Do you know if it's possible to define KOI8-T in X, declaring that
KOI8-C fonts may be used for characters belonging to the common subset
of KOI8-{T,C}?

> > > Some other locale to work need X locale definition fixes. I tried to do some
> > > sync for X locale, basing on the glibc one. The files ara available at
> > > http://fly.mif.pg.gda.pl/X/
> > > I do not support patches as they would be bigger and more difficult to
> > > maintain (~70% of files is modified).
> >
> > It's for the very same reason that I'm modifying locale.alias with sed
> > +awk. If you're able to express your changes as a relatively simple
> > script, feel free to apply them in X11.spec
>
> I'm adding a lot of encodings from glibc, which did not exist in X earlier.
> And adding mapping of some glibc aliases, eg:
> - glibc does not understand de_DE.ISO-8859-15 (unlike X)
> - X does not understand de_DE.ISO-8859-15 at euro (unlike glibc)
> And removing unnecessary first parts (mappings definition with no ":", they
> seem to be obsolete).

Maybe it'd be a good solution to write from scratch (and maintain :( ) a
PLD-specific locale.aliases (and other related) file. Most locales
defined there (like portuguese_brazil or FRE_FR) don't apply to glibc
systems anyway.

> I think it would be better to leave the differences (maybe new definition
> will appear in future) for lower memory consuming (but I'm not absolutely
> sure of it).
>
> Moreover, some characters will probably be never properly displayed in
> *.UTF-8 locales as encodings used for them are not mentioned in appropriate
> XLC_LOCALE files (eg. Georgian, Armenian, Lao, Tibetan).

So you have to set an Armenian locale to read an Armenian text? It
sucks. Just like DOS did.

The behavior I'd expect is to be able to display any exotic text, even
in pl_PL.ISO-8859-2, as long as I have the correct fonts installed. Had
I wanted to spare memory, I wouldn't have installed Cyrillic or Tibetan
fonts.

| Paweł Sakowski <pawel at sakowski.eu.org>            Never trust a man  |
|                            who can count up to 1023 on his fingers.  |