SOURCES: X11-glibc-charset.patch (NEW) - patch to use

Paweł Sakowski pawel at sakowski.eu.org
Mon Sep 27 22:44:02 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 18:56 +0200, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> > The behavior I'd expect is to be able to display any exotic text, even
> > in pl_PL.ISO-8859-2, as long as I have the correct fonts installed. Had
> > I wanted to spare memory, I wouldn't have installed Cyrillic or Tibetan
> > fonts.
>
> Even if you use a powerful fontserver containing all possible fonts for any
> case ? And fon some reason you cannot drop this xfs from your FontPath ?

If well coded, vast font availability on the xfs server needn't result
in a major increase of memory usage on the client end. But I'm well
aware this is an if(0) statement.

A problem is that limiting font availability based on locale is
extremely inflexible. If you have a Hebrew user learning Japanese, they
won't be able to set up their system so that they can use fonts for both
scripts. So, given the choice I (for my desktop) would prefer to have
available all the fonts[1], accepting the resulting bloat.

[1] No, I don't speak either Hebrew nor Japanese :)

| Paweł Sakowski <pawel at sakowski.eu.org>            Never trust a man  |
|                            who can count up to 1023 on his fingers.  |