Vim

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Thu Apr 28 10:12:27 CEST 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:35:33PM +0200, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> My guess is no one beside few people. I'm not using any of these _in vim_ (...

So they can do --rebuild --with foo. I see no reason to add dozens of
deps for many people just for a benefit of a few.

> > Similar thing: elinks is built by default with 3 scripting languages
> > (lua4, guile, perl) - do we need them all by default?
> What's the reason behind disabling them?

Agreed. I suggest disabling guile at least.

> Plugins would be better but the reality is different. Now the question is: do
> we want more features or less hdd space used

We want being rational. Enable popular features, disable recessive.

> (is there _any_ other point  beside hdd space)?

RAM and startup time.

> Take for example heimdal, there is only few people using it but this is the
> thing which makes PLD very nice for them. No recompilation needed to get
> things usable.

There's a difference between somehow significant library linked with
several popular packages (so one probably has it on the disk and in
RAM), and things like ruby.

--
Tom Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>           http://vfmg.sourceforge.net/
                                         http://tccs.sourceforge.net/