ANN: Closing AC

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Sun Dec 11 15:05:46 CET 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 02:45:22PM +0100, Marcin Król wrote:
> > It's ok as long, as we make ISO-s from time to time.
>
> That is the part of "always in developement" idea.
>
> > I can't see what's
> > bothering ppl bout dying ac and th. Windows 98 and 95 and ME died as well,
> > other distros also make new versions and move on forward.
>
> For me personally if we will switch to "awlays in developement" distro
> it would be easier to:
>
> 1) Maintain my machines, by simply doing poldek --upgrade-dist out of
> stable tree. Occasionally there will be need to do some manual upgrades
> like from postgres 8.0 to 8.1 which requires database dump/restore. Now
> lets assume that we will stay with current distro politics + we will
> release new version every year. So once a year I'll probably have to
> reinstall all the machines because version Z was released and X has
> reached an EOL.

But think about "big transitions", such as gcc - when most of
C++/Fortran/Ada/GCJ-based Java stuff must be rebuilt. And many programs
appear broken, so they wouldn't exist in distro even for few months.
gcc 4.0 isn't so new now (about 8 months from 4.0.0 release has passed),
but many programs still need fixes, sometimes non-trivial.

Or glibc - since glibc 2.4 support for Linux < 2.6.0 is no more.
If you have some piece of hardware not supported by current Linux, you
could stick to older line of distro until you can buy some new hardware
or update drivers to work with current Linux.

Or removing whole architecture from distro.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.cs.net.pl/