ANN: Closing AC

Marcin Król hawk at limanowa.net
Sun Dec 11 17:56:56 CET 2005

> But think about "big transitions", such as gcc - when most of
> C++/Fortran/Ada/GCJ-based Java stuff must be rebuilt. And many programs
> appear broken, so they wouldn't exist in distro even for few months.

All those programs will not exist, but just in devel tree on ftp. They
however will still exist in stable tree. After doing all necessary fixes
and rebuilding all necessary packages (no matter how long it will take)
stuff from devel tree (after tests of course) will be moved to stable tree.

What should be different in this approach from releasing the new X
version of PLD? After moving packages from devel to stable tree, poldek
--upgrade-dist should do the job or if it can't it should inform
administrator that his attention is required before performing an
upgrade. Of course, separate builders will be required for both stable
and devel trees, but we already have them, haven't we?

There are probably many more holes in my thinking, but I believe we
should be able to solve these problems.

I'm OK with releasing new version of PLD with each milestone like gcc or
glibc if 'poldek --upgrade-dist' will be the only tool needed for
upgrade. And if poldek will be unable to perform upgrade it should
inform me about it ie "I'm unable to perfrom upgrade-dist because of
incompatibility between postgresql 8.0 and 8.1" or "I'm unable to
perform upgrade: kernel24 has been removed from distribution because of
glibc >= 2.4". That would be very nice :)

M.