ANN: Closing AC

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Sun Dec 11 18:56:28 CET 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 04:31:33PM +0100, Tomasz Pala wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 16:10:19 +0100, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
>
> > The startup time with init-ng is proved to be less than a half compared
> > to plain SysVinit.
>
> With 3-6 months uptimes it's irrevelant if restart due to new kernel
> takes 5 or 10 minutes.

Irrevelant? My customers _do_ care if a maintenance break (e.g. reboot
during kernel upgrate) lasts 5 or 10 minutes.

> My conclusion coming from this discussion is that's desktop solution,
> not server one. Am I right?

I, as a single user of my desktop machine, may go to make some tea, when
the machine boots. It is much harder to explain thousands of customers,
calling during machine boot, why their services don't work.

Greets,
        Jacek