ANN: Closing AC

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz ankry at green.mif.pg.gda.pl
Sun Dec 11 19:18:33 CET 2005

=?UTF-8?B?TWFyY2luIEtyw7Ns?= wrote:
> > I can't see what's
> > bothering ppl bout dying ac and th. Windows 98 and 95 and ME died as well,
> > other distros also make new versions and move on forward.
>
> For me personally if we will switch to "awlays in developement" distro
> it would be easier to:
>
> 1) Maintain my machines, by simply doing poldek --upgrade-dist out of
> stable tree. Occasionally there will be need to do some manual upgrades
> like from postgres 8.0 to 8.1 which requires database dump/restore. Now

But if you leave one machine not upgraded, after some time it may become
not upgradeable. Because of missing triggers, package splits, missing
obsoletes, etc.

> lets assume that we will stay with current distro politics + we will
> release new version every year. So once a year I'll probably have to
> reinstall all the machines because version Z was released and X has
> reached an EOL.

What for machines that are not upgradeable N -> N+1? Eg. because of their
configuration and bugs present in year N+1 release. Will rel. N+2 support
N -> N+2 upgrade ?
Eg. some X11 version (or any other commonly used library) is unusable for
them, suggested solution is to use previous version with bugfixes?

> 2) Maintain distro itself. Now if there is some security bug it should
> be fixed in Ra, Ac, Th. With "always in developement" we'll
> prepare/commit/test/build fixed packages only once.

Yes, leaving the work for machine admins is simpler.

  Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz                 ankry at mif.pg.gda.pl
  phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math.,   Gdansk University of Technology