ANN: Closing AC

Marcin Król hawk at limanowa.net
Sun Dec 11 22:26:21 CET 2005

> But if you leave one machine not upgraded, after some time it may become
> not upgradeable. Because of missing triggers, package splits, missing
> obsoletes, etc.

True.

> What for machines that are not upgradeable N -> N+1? Eg. because of their
> configuration and bugs present in year N+1 release. Will rel. N+2 support
> N -> N+2 upgrade ?

Probably not. On the other hand, that kind of machines either are never
upgraded or some workaround is being developed to solve the problem
(usually not at distro level). So someday it will be possible to upgrade
N to N+1 which should then update to N+2.

> Eg. some X11 version (or any other commonly used library) is unusable for
> them, suggested solution is to use previous version with bugfixes?

My knowledge isn't big, but I had many of such situations back in Ra
times. Now all these machines are running Ac. So IMO its only matter of
time when some workaround will be developed to allow upgrade.

> Yes, leaving the work for machine admins is simpler.

And current PLD philosophy is not leaving the work for machine admins?
Upgrade from Ra to Ac == 1 night at server room for every production
machine. And this will IMO not change in Ac->Th transition or any other
leater X->Y transition.

M.