ANN: Closing AC

Jakub Piotr Cłapa loc at toya.net.pl
Mon Dec 12 22:48:45 CET 2005

Tomasz Pala wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 18:56:28 +0100, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
>
>> Irrevelant? My customers _do_ care if a maintenance break (e.g. reboot
>> during kernel upgrate) lasts 5 or 10 minutes.
>
> If so, why don't you use some HA? Anyway I simply do not believe, that
> it's 'proven' to be two times faster, especially when speaking of
> machines which have some real load.

http://initng.thinktux.net/index.php/Boot_charts_Official

First check, than argue.
Of course it can be different for a server but the ratio will probably
remain simillar. The simplest reason I can think of (there are other
too) is that there are deamons whose startup is CPU bound (Apache?
Samba?) and I/O bound (most of them probably... I know about CUPS which
starts without any disc activity and probably also no CPU usage I guess
it just waits for printers enumeration).

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa