ANN: Closing AC

Jakub Piotr Cłapa loc at toya.net.pl
Mon Dec 12 23:26:21 CET 2005

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> =?UTF-8?B?TWFyY2luIEtyw7Ns?= wrote:
>>> I can't see what's
>>> bothering ppl bout dying ac and th. Windows 98 and 95 and ME died as well,
>>> other distros also make new versions and move on forward.
>> For me personally if we will switch to "awlays in developement" distro
>> it would be easier to:
>>
>> 1) Maintain my machines, by simply doing poldek --upgrade-dist out of
>> stable tree. Occasionally there will be need to do some manual upgrades
>> like from postgres 8.0 to 8.1 which requires database dump/restore. Now
>
> But if you leave one machine not upgraded, after some time it may become
> not upgradeable. Because of missing triggers, package splits, missing
> obsoletes, etc.

Maybe there is need for a better package update system (some kind of
incremental triggers that would support upgrades from almost every version)?

The restrictions on adding a new version to the main tree could also
become more strict just like they were on man pages in the early UNIX
days. You don't add a good migration banner/script/readme[1] <=> you
won't get the new version to the main tree.

[1] This would also allow notes with changelogs and general information
passed from packager for the admin. Splitting this (together with
%descriptions and maybe installation time scripts) from main package
building to some kind of database that could be modified without
rebuilding the package could also be worthy but would require deep
rpmbuild changes. (I'm not totally convinced about this one)

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa