ANN: Closing AC

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Sat Dec 17 00:13:52 CET 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 19:18 +0100, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> =?UTF-8?B?TWFyY2luIEtyw7Ns?= wrote:
> > > I can't see what's
> > > bothering ppl bout dying ac and th. Windows 98 and 95 and ME died as well,
> > > other distros also make new versions and move on forward.
> >
> > For me personally if we will switch to "awlays in developement" distro
> > it would be easier to:
> >
> > 1) Maintain my machines, by simply doing poldek --upgrade-dist out of
> > stable tree. Occasionally there will be need to do some manual upgrades
> > like from postgres 8.0 to 8.1 which requires database dump/restore. Now
>
> But if you leave one machine not upgraded, after some time it may become
> not upgradeable. Because of missing triggers, package splits, missing
> obsoletes, etc.

Perhaps it is time to start tracking those, and recording an upgrade
path.

> > lets assume that we will stay with current distro politics + we will
> > release new version every year. So once a year I'll probably have to
> > reinstall all the machines because version Z was released and X has
> > reached an EOL.
>
> What for machines that are not upgradeable N -> N+1? Eg. because of their
> configuration and bugs present in year N+1 release. Will rel. N+2 support
> N -> N+2 upgrade ?
> Eg. some X11 version (or any other commonly used library) is unusable for
> them, suggested solution is to use previous version with bugfixes?

I think part of the problem is that we would need to keep old package
sets on FTP: A sort of mini-release with every batch of moves from ready
to main. If the distro tree is laid out for that, I can see it working
very well. Poldek 0.20's config files leave good infrastructure for
rolling out new repo locations via updates, too.

> > 2) Maintain distro itself. Now if there is some security bug it should
> > be fixed in Ra, Ac, Th. With "always in developement" we'll
> > prepare/commit/test/build fixed packages only once.
>
> Yes, leaving the work for machine admins is simpler.

Hehe.

Aria