ANN: Closing AC

Jakub Piotr Cłapa loc at toya.net.pl
Tue Dec 13 18:18:33 CET 2005

Cz at rny wrote:
> Dnia Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:56:55 +0100, Tomasz Pala <gotar at polanet.pl>
> napisał:
>
>> Anyway I simply do not believe, that
>> it's 'proven' to be two times faster, especially when speaking of
>> machines which have some real load.
>
> I'm testing it right now on my laptop( yea - it doesn't have this much
> load, but it runnes few server-like daemons, like apache and mysql + pgsql
> ). The boot speeds up *really*! X starts in like < 10sec from powering on
> the laptop!
>
> The problem is with tracing what runns and what doesn't. Since all starts
> parallel, there is a lot of output and things start in different places,
> sometimes between of other msgs.

There is need for something more graphical and/or interactive than
classical boot messages stream. Maybe an ncurses interface allowing the
admin to browse the save logs from various daemon and showing which are
already up, which failed and what is currently running.

This architecture will allow also fancy graphical bootup trees showing
the startup (it will rock even more than Windows blue floating bar at
the bottom of the screen ;) and whats more important (but contains less
hype) would allow easy browsing of these logs with a GUI or web
interface (including checking what is running and what can but turned
on/off)

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa