ANN: Closing AC

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Thu Dec 15 15:56:19 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 16:53:13 +0100, Cz at rny wrote:

> that, because it doesn't work yet and that's why the whole idea is wrong

No, I'm not saying. I'm STILL asking some 'HOW' questions and don't get
answers.

> to start with". There are possibilites which we could utilize and give me
> a good reason, good retorical reason, why shouldn't we use that. So - what

I'll repeat one more time, slowly: b e c a u s e   n o o n e   c a n   t
e l l   m e   H O W   t o   s t a r t   n e t w o r k   s e r v i c e s .

> wan't work when we're done scripting, what is impossible because of the
> nature/architecture of initng and so on. So far You've just claimed the

How do you want to script, when you don't know WHAT is to be written?

> obvoius - it isn't ready and productional yet, but the question is, should

It's not even ready for testing, because apparently there's no
fundamentals (or any person here who knows something more than 'parallel').

> > Nothing. I'm just against gentooism like `it's two times faster'.
>
> Do I look to You like a Gentoo user?

Yes. You believe that something you don't know is better, because you've
read it somewhere.

> I've just written down my personal experience with only slightly tweaked
> initng with PLD and the result is as follows - boot time, including *all*
> services and daemons, speed up dramatically, probably more than 2 times!

I don't care about your system. I'm worried about MINE and you can't
tell me how to configure it to work.

> > If it is better, answer one of my question: how would you start bind in
> > relation with quagga?
>
> I don't know what quogga is,

Sad...

> but I don't see any service would be
> unrunable in the new initng.

Without any non-zero interface-interval bind will run, work, but won't
listen on zebra set-up interfaces, so won't serve request.

> I'm not ignorant so much, to say it doesn't
> matter. That seems to be the first con not to make it in PLD, so please
> tell me, what is so speciffic bout it and we'll think is it really such an
> obstacle.

Just tell me how dependencies work and I will know everything. I'm
trying to get this information for 4 days.

> > How can it work, when NOONE can tell me it's rules. How to start bind?
>
> service named start :D

Manually after every system restart? ;P

> > If something works 'free style', and my services can randomly become
> > unavailable, it IS bad.
>
> Jumping to conclussions again? Why randomly become down?

Assume that my OSPF dies (it happens with PLD quagga). It's not
restarted by supervisor because I've disabled this function (Q1: can in
be disabled? Q2: can in be disabled selectively?). Now it's time to
rotate logs - postrotate script does service reload and all my services
are shut down, because there's no required OSPF daemon running (Q0: how
dependencies work, what's configurable?).

> Why free style?

No rules==free style (I'm asking for these rules since monday, if YOU
are so interested in merging this project into PLD why don't you know
them?).

> Has anyone here written bout random restarts, random services going down.

Yes, me. I've written the scenario a few times and got no answer.

> It's up to how we write the scripts. That's a large field to discuss. Also
> the trinary or larger logic - is it neceserry, how to ensure proper boot
> even after errors, what gets restarted and when.

Well, if everything is TODO, what can I test or comment? EOT until we'll
have something to discuss about.

--
GoTaR <priv0.onet.pl->gotar>        http://vfmg.sourceforge.net/
                                    http://tccs.sourceforge.net/