ANN: Closing AC

Jakub Piotr Cłapa loc at toya.net.pl
Sat Dec 24 02:42:11 CET 2005

Tomasz Pala napisał(a):
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 13:54:01 +0100, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
>
>> We have because some of them depend on others. OTOH Samba, Squid, Apache
>> and DHCPd rarely depend on each other. ;]
>
> So we can give them the same priority and introduce feature from patrys'
> blog: run everything with the same prio parallel. It MUCH more easier
> transition as we only need some piece of forking code.

But he also proposed automatic generation of priorities (to relieve the
pain of guessing the proper magic numbers from developers). Configurable
daemon supervising is IMHO a good thing on its own.

We could probably also look at Apple's launchd for a (according to what
I've heard) completely new look at running all kinds of processes (it
includes some kind of cron and init replacement).