SOURCES (AC-branch): bashrc - removed stty erase setting to `tput ...

Jan Rekorajski baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Sat Jul 2 23:10:27 CEST 2005

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005, Tomasz Pala wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 19:45:03 +0200, Jan Rekorajski wrote:
>
> > > You didn't read me carefully. This is Debian:
> > >
> > > $ echo $TERM; infocmp | grep kbs
> > > xterm-color
> > >         is2=\E7\E[r\E[m\E[?7h\E[?1;3;4;6l\E[4l\E8\E>, kbs=^H,
> >
> > And do they acually USE xterm-color?
>
> They don't (at least through xterm binary) - maybe that's why they
> forgot (!?) to change it too. But out xterm sets TERM=xterm-color, so
> when I login to Debian/RH all the backspace keybindings not work (read
> below).
>
> > Show me `TERM=xterm infocmp | grep kbs`
>
> $ TERM=xterm infocmp | grep kbs
>         kb2=\EOE, kbs=\177, kcbt=\E[Z, kcub1=\EOD, kcud1=\EOB,
> $ TERM=xterm-color infocmp | grep kbs
>         is2=\E7\E[r\E[m\E[?7h\E[?1;3;4;6l\E[4l\E8\E>, kbs=^H,
>
> The latter one is problem at Debian and RH, because currently it's
> different that ours. The former one was not problem without yout
> changes, because our xterm doesn't set TERM=xterm.

And we should too (read further).

> > > I'm testing your change for one day and it's to be reverted.
> >
> > And what's wrong with it? I didn't see _any_ side-effects, and I tested
> > it with a few combinations of new/old terminfo/xterm.
>
> With TERM=xterm it's ok (better than before). With xterm-color (our
> default) there's difference in generated sequence and terminfo, thus key
> bindings (NOT backspace as erase!) in ncurses don't work. E.g.
>
> mutt in pager mode:
> <BackSpace>     previous-line               scroll up one line
>
> Either we readapt xterm-color to Debian and RH (kbs=^H) or we convince
> them to change it too - I have no idea if it is intentional difference
> between xterm and xterm-color or their both mistake.

My proposal is for us to stop being so uber-smart and just revert to
defaults. Kill all those s/xterm/xterm-color/ and s/xterm/we-know-better/
patches and just stick to TERM=xterm like the rest of the world.

That way distro defaults will guarantee proper work and if someone
doesn't like them he is free to fix terminfo database.

And we should also go with debian-guildines here (like eg. FC) and set
kbs=\177, then we will have consistent envinronment on console and in X.

> One more thing - what stty erase sets xterm after your changes? You
> should have added "*ttyModes: erase ^?".

Maybe I should add "*backarrowKey: false".

Janek
--
Jan Rękorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?