SOURCES: postgresql.init, postgresql.sysconfig - what about NOT us...

wrobell wrobell at pld-linux.org
Sat Jul 23 19:39:45 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 03:30:49PM +0200, romke wrote:
> Author: romke                        Date: Sat Jul 23 13:30:49 2005 GMT
> Module: SOURCES                       Tag: HEAD
> ---- Log message:
> - what about NOT using UNICODE as initdb encoding? (hardcoded -E UNICODE)
>   changes supporting sysconfig PG_INITDB_ENCODING to alter initdb encoding.

to romke: please remove this option. you are duplicating initdb script.
init option for postgresql.init script was introduced for simple scenarios.
if you need other encoding, then just use initdb script.

[...]
> +# if you want change default initdb encoding use (value WITHOUT QUOTES!):
> +# PG_INITDB_ENCODING=UNICODE
> +# e.g. if you want use database default encoding use:
> +# PG_INITDB_ENCODING=
> +
>  # standard setting
>  PG_DB_CLUSTERS="/var/lib/pgsql"

to others...

ok. so we are at the same point again as few months ago.

in few weeks next person will introduce other options for
"service postgresql init" duplicating functionality of initdb script.

qboosh, as you can see it really misleads people. let's remove
init part of postgresql.init script. it really doesn't make sense
to have it.

    wrobell <wrobell at pld-linux.org>