SPECS: adapter.awk - kill some more macros

Paweł Gołaszewski blues at pld-linux.org
Sun Sep 25 21:03:24 CEST 2005

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Tomasz Wittner wrote:
> > > Author: glen                         Date: Sun Sep 25 11:53:39 2005 GMT
> > > Module: SPECS                         Tag: HEAD
> > > ---- Log message:
> > > - kill some more macros
> > [...]
> > > +	gsub("^%{__install}", "install")
> > > +	gsub("^%{__tar}", "tar")
> > > +	gsub("^%{__rm}", "rm")
> > I don't know if it's good to remove this macros.
> I agree with you - IMO it isn't.

Are we going to change it?

> > I think we should implement them. In the beggining it could be simple
> > command, the same. But some could want to replace i.e. tar with star,
> > which is faster.
> ... and buggy or/and incompatible with GNU tar (star was invoked as `gnutar'
> in this case). I wasted a lot of time, when I tried to build kdevelop - star
> has problems with processing multiple arguments:
> gnutar -cf gnu.tar -C ./gnu AUTHORS  COPYING \
>     ChangeLog  INSTALL  NEWS  README  TODO
> gnutar: No such file or directory. Cannot stat 'ChangeLog'.
> gnutar: No such file or directory. Cannot stat 'INSTALL'.
> gnutar: No such file or directory. Cannot stat 'NEWS'.
> gnutar: No such file or directory. Cannot stat 'README'.
> gnutar: No such file or directory. Cannot stat 'TODO'.
>
> In the end I've added `BC: star' to kdevelop.spec. So star it isn't a
> good reason for using macro %__tar instead plain command ;).

well, it's good to know that :) tar was the first thing I had in my mind.
Remember that star can have implemented multiple arguments and every
missing option/feature.

Nevermind - this commands _can_ be replaced now/in_future by another
commands. We have to decide that there should be added some options by
default. Who knows.

I think that these macros should be added.