rc-inetd sucks

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Tue Apr 4 19:18:18 CEST 2006

Hello,

rc-inetd is one of those unique PLD features which were supposed to make
our lives easier. However, it makes simple things complicated. I am
developing a kind of embedded system based on PLD. PLD is good because of
detailed subpackaging and careful dependencies choice, but the rc-ined
thing breaks this -- I am not able to install any tftpd server without
whole rc-inetd machinery and generation of *inetd configuration (always
the same) on startup is definitely not what I need.

I think rc-inetd requirement should be dropped from any packages, like
rc-boot is not required by our bootloaders. I guess it is another place
where Suggest should be used instead of Requires.

Any thoughts?

Greets,
        Jacek