rc-inetd sucks

Marcin Król hawk at limanowa.net
Fri Apr 7 09:38:45 CEST 2006

> Any thoughts?

Yeah. I was hit by this problem few minutes ago. I'm using xinetd which
has some very nice features like port redirecting which I currently
need. Example entry in xinetd conf looks like this:

service telnet
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        bind                    = 192.168.0.1
        redirect                = 192.168.0.100 23
}

However I can't use rc-inetd to generate such entry. It will complain
about DAEMON, FLAGS and SERVER being not defined while in fact they are
not needed here.

The ideal sollution (IMHO) would be to leave decission to administrator
if he want config auto-generating enabled or disabled, ie. via some var
in /etc/sysconfig/inetd or something.

M.