upgrade apache to 2.2

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Sat Jan 7 15:48:57 CET 2006

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:27:54 +0100, Jakub Bogusz wrote:

> Want something more stable than C and C++ ABI within distro line?

Yes, just like we have php4, apache1 and many more.

> So DO distro release twice a year and MAINTAIN each one for two years or
> so.

What for? ABI changes require next release, probably with some
transition scripting. It's not the case.

> With release cycle >3y nothing more can be done (unless everything
> becomes Really Ancient long before release time).

1. don't put UNTESTED stuff in main (like changing HTTPD_CONF to brand
new /etc/httpd/apache.conf, putting Deny from all in 10_common.conf and
triggering service restart by some application),
2. don't drop XYZ support (mv xyz xyzVER).

Nothing more. This situation is the same as in mysql a year or something
ago - changes in good direction, but without any reasonable upgrade
procedure; it didn't cope even with classical out-of-package
configuration. My apache 2.0 configuration was kosher either.

--
GoTaR <priv0.onet.pl->gotar>        http://vfmg.sourceforge.net/
                                    http://tccs.sourceforge.net/