RPM changelog

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz ankry at green.mif.pg.gda.pl
Thu Jun 8 14:07:36 CEST 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Tomasz Pala wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 18:54:23 +0200, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
>
> > So, if we are talking about personal preferences, I prefer no changelog at
> > all than a changelog without the information about the most important
> > changes.
>
> Truncated changelog has important information: which release we have
> installed. I'd like them cut to 20 most recent entries, as it's enough
> to compare current version against installed in up to date system, and
> enough to understand the position in changelog chain in a run down
> machines.

Hmmm, it depends what we talk about.
If we talk about changelog info in a .spec file it is useful while working
without CVS access (eg. server offline) - to have information about changes
as complete as possible.
If we talk about changelog in the rpm database probably one or two entries
should fit your requirements. All they contain CVS versioning numbers.

Note, that there may be one as well as a hundred entries between subsequent
package versions or even between subsequent releases.

Currently both changelogs are the same. But must they be?

  Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz                  ankry at mif.pg.gda.pl
  phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math.,   Gdansk University of Technology