courier-imap

Andrzej Augustynowicz andree at pld-linux.org
Fri Mar 24 19:59:35 CET 2006

Elan  [iso-8859-1]Ruusamäe writes:

> hi
>
> i wanted to split courier imap so that ssl and non-ssl services are separated
> (also same for pop3), but the outcome is completely ugly. especially
> confusing is maintaining triggers (drop them?). and the Obsoletes: imapserver
> in imap and imap-ssl would remove eachother during upgrades. why do we need
> the obsoletes for? i think with proper configuration you can run all ten
> different imap servers on same host ;)
du -hs /etc/courier-imap/pop3d-ssl /usr/lib/courier-imap/pop3d-ssl.rc
/etc/rc.d/init.d/courier-pop3-ssl
8,0K    /etc/courier-imap/pop3d-ssl
4,0K    /usr/lib/courier-imap/pop3d-ssl.rc
4,0K    /etc/rc.d/init.d/courier-pop3-ssl

this are files from courier-imap-pop3 that could be moved to -ssl package,
main question is: is it worth to split 16K to another package ? only
argument that speaks to me is diffrent init script.

> about packaging, it looks like -ssl needs imapd binary (same for pop3-ssl),
> should the binary moved to -common package, and imapd, imapd-ssl just provide
> the initscript? or make -ssl depend on imapd package? for flexibility first
> option would be better. (and allows imapd invocation from superserver in the
> future if one want's to do that)
why moved pop3d and imapd binary to -common, for example I don't want to
have pop3d on my system but want to have imapd, that is in -common

second solution look's better for me and don't break what is main idea of
PLD - do not install what you don't need

> also why there's such weird inconsistency:
> package: courier-imap-pop3, service: courier-pop3
package courier-pop3 for courier-imap-pop3 would do a big mess because of
courier-pop3d package from courier.spec
service courier-pop3 is good (it looks much better than courier-imap-pop3),
maybe some day author of courier will do the same thing with -imap, and
-pop3 as he done with -authlib