[Ac] Mozilla removal?

Paweł Gołaszewski blues at pld-linux.org
Tue May 9 18:52:07 CEST 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Marcin Król wrote:
> Since Mozilla Suite got an EOL I'm thinking about removing it from Ac.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

> Why? Any potential security issues or bugs that could be found in near
> or far future will not be fixed. So some day we may end with outdated,
> buggy, insecure package which can't be updated/patched/fixed. It could
> be even tomorrow. Below I've listed few questions/problems:
>
> 1. Many apps require mozilla-devel at build stage. Should we build these
>    against seamonkey-devel or mozilla-firefox-devel?
>
> 2. Depending on answer for 1st question - anyone knows about
>    build/compile time problems when building against seamonkey/firefox?
>    Which apps are known to be working and which are not?
>
> 3. If mozilla will be removed, should seamonkey packages provide
>    mozilla-libs, mozilla-devel etc? Note: it should if we will choose
>    building against seamonkey.

poldek:/all-avail> ls *seamonkey*
błąd: *seamonkey*: no such package or directory
poldek:/all-avail>

I don't see it in AC, yet...

> 4. Does anyone see any other problem(s) with removing mozilla? (I'm sure
>    I've forgot most important ones :))
>
> IMO we should build all possible apps against firefox. Its default
> mozilla.org browser while seamonkey is AFAIR made by Mozilla Suite fans
> for Mozilla Suite fans. Because of this seamonkey may become, hm...
> incompatible with apps that require mozilla-devel. Also apps authors may
> not support seamonkey.

I don't see seamonkey in AC...

> So I see it this way:
>
> 1. Build everything mozilla related with mozilla-firefox, adjust all
>    required specs (this is huge work, any volunteers?)
> 2. Remove mozilla from Ac
> 3. Put seamonkey in Ac to make all Mozilla Suite fans happy, but don't
>    build any mozilla related apps against it

If seamonkey will appear in AC we can talk about that.
I'm using mozilla and firefox isn't what I like. Maybe seamonkey can
replace it but if you're talking about switch - show it first :)