epm-4.4.7 + poldek

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Thu Nov 16 21:42:45 CET 2006

Dunno if this still relevant. Any success with rpm-4.4.7 and poldek yet?

 > As you might have already guessed, Jeff dropped all the deprecated
stuff
 > from this release of rpm. Now it's there in Th. Don't upgrade.

 > poldek makes use of most of the deprecated functions that are now
gone
 > (Jeff says some of them were marked as deprecated for as long as 6
whole
 > years).

Mea culpa. I apologize for breaking poldek.

Meanwhile, a patch to restore most of the functionality I ripped can
be found at

     http://wraptastic.org/pub/jbj/rpm-revert.patch

I'll carry that code through rpm-4.4.8 (or as long as needed) if you
want. Please note
that rpm-4.4.7 no longer reads /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc by default, and so
behavior with and without
reading rpmrc is well, one behavior too many.

My intent is to simplify choosing cpu-vendor-os, all that rpm needs
is strings.
That should help make cross-packaging and multilib and xen and qemu
and ...
easier with rpm.

But I certainly did not mean to break any code.

 > DEVEL branch contains my attempt at making poldek usable again.
There is
 > a poldek-deprecated.patch that fixes the building process but
 > unfortunately, other things are not that easy to fix:

Your patch looks pretty sound from a rpm POV, I'm less familiar with
poldek
sources,.

 > [EMAIL PROTECTED] SOURCES]$ LC_ALL=C poldek
 > 13041 packages read
 > Removed 11 duplicate packages from available set
 > error: db4 error(146746632) from db->set_cachesize: Unknown error
146746632
 > error: db4 error(22) from db->close: Invalid argument
 > error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Unknown error 146746632
(146746632)
 > error: //var/lib/rpm: open rpm database failed
 > error: Load installed packages failed

Hmmm, weird. If you send me the equivalent of rpm -vv output from
poldek privately,
I might be able to guess what is happening. The errors are quite
strange.

hth

73 de Jeff