SOURCES: logrotate.conf - do log rotation daily and keep 2 weeks.

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Tue Dec 25 20:01:25 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 17:58:07 +0100, Pawel Golaszewski wrote:

> > > - it's easier to compress 5MB file than 35MB. This is significant on
> > >   desktops, but on server systems could be too.
> > It's not.
>
> It is :P

~:  ls -la aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
-rw------- 1 gotar gotar 8.2M Nov 16 19:09 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
~:  time gzip aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
gzip aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  0.85s user 0.06s system 95% cpu 0.957 total

There's no difference for any modern system to compress 5 MB or 35 MB.

My biggest system (3k users, dozens of services) produces about 300 MB
logs every day. Such machine doesn't have ANY problems compressing this
after a week.

> > > - many services are producing a lot of logs and that was why glen has
> > Which one?
>
> Which one changed glen or which one produces a lot of logs? :)

Lot of logs.

> i.e.: http servers. error log could be huge.

If you have some buggy application, just adjust logrotate or disable
logging of not critical notifications.

> compressing so big file is not nice.

Indeed, on cellular phone ;P

And please don't use filesize argument - there's a 'size' option for
logrotate.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>