SOURCES: logrotate.conf - do log rotation daily and keep 2 weeks.

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Tue Dec 25 22:08:20 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 17:17:40 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

> Default PLD installation should be usable both in real systems and
> vservers.

If so then default PLD installation should be usable on routers too. I
rotate traffic logs 3 times a day (each log has ca. 150 MB) with rotate
1200.

> The latter tend to be very limited in terms of available
> space (think LVM scaled according to planned disk use).

Storage area is cheap. Data loss is expensive.

> Default installations also don't have anything to log or rotate unless
> you start any log-intensive services (any http pr smtp server for
> example). Then it generates enough logs to justify daily rotation. On

Please define 'enough' - as I said before I have no more than 1 GB daily
on heavily used system and thus don't see any reason for increasing
frequency of rotation.

> the other hand I don't really care about most log files on my desktop
> machine and daily rotation for a week or two also makes sense in terms
> of limiting useless junk stored on disk.

So just disable syslogd. KISS ;)

> Only for public ISPs. I propose daily rotation for 2 weeks as a
> default. Any public server needs customizations anyway while the

Any other server needs customization too.

> default makes it work sanely out-of-the-box in the rest of the cases.

Please define 'rest of the cases'.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>