SOURCES: logrotate.conf - do log rotation daily and keep 2 weeks.

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Dec 25 17:17:40 CET 2007

2007/12/25, Tomasz Pala <gotar at polanet.pl>:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 15:17:05 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > Me neither. Even development environments produce enough logs to kill
> Let me repeat: it's just DEFAULT, if you create any environment you
> should adjust this parameter among with others. Default PLD instalation
> IS NOT development environment.

Default PLD installation should be usable both in real systems and
vservers. The latter tend to be very limited in terms of available
space (think LVM scaled according to planned disk use).

Default installations also don't have anything to log or rotate unless
you start any log-intensive services (any http pr smtp server for
example). Then it generates enough logs to justify daily rotation. On
the other hand I don't really care about most log files on my desktop
machine and daily rotation for a week or two also makes sense in terms
of limiting useless junk stored on disk.

> > a vserver before rotation occurs. Not all machines have access to
> > multigigabyte hard drives.
> Ordinary modern computer does have 'multigigabyte hard drives'. If you
> don't - please change defaults on your own.

Vservers don't have their own hardware. Be it vserver package- or
kvm-based qemu machines.

> > We can do better than default.
> Yep - maybe I'll change rotate to monthly with 24 months history,
> because EU law enforces 2 yrs retention?

Only for public ISPs. I propose daily rotation for 2 weeks as a
default. Any public server needs customizations anyway while the
default makes it work sanely out-of-the-box in the rest of the cases.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution