SPECS: vim.spec - with python, ruby and tcl by default - rel 3 for...

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Sun Jun 17 22:02:45 CEST 2007

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 09:45:54PM +0200, Cezary Krzyzanowski wrote:
> Dnia 17-06-2007, N o godzinie 17:55 +0100, wrobell napisał(a):
>
> > imho it should be off by default. if one wants fat vim, then please create
> > vim-enahnced/vim-fat/whatever packages.
>
> 1. What is fat? perl is fat for me, python not and it was on by default
> 2. Vim static is the choice for slim solutions.

Just for the record:

$ rpm -q --qf '%-12{NAME}: %{SIZE}\n' perl-base python-libs ruby tcl vim-rt
perl-base   : 2936355
python-libs : 1828755
ruby        : 1094668
tcl         : 4306684
vim-rt      : 14952921

(assuming that libs packages suffice to run vim without complaints)

But the original question was: do particular language support overhead is
worth its benefits?
Are there already some packaged or custom vim addons which need all these
languages?

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/