SPECS: vim.spec - with python, ruby and tcl by default - rel 3 for...

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Mon Jun 18 08:45:52 CEST 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 09:45:54PM +0200, Cezary Krzyzanowski wrote:
> > Dnia 17-06-2007, N o godzinie 17:55 +0100, wrobell napisał(a):
> > > imho it should be off by default. if one wants fat vim, then please
> > > create vim-enahnced/vim-fat/whatever packages.
> >
> > 1. What is fat? perl is fat for me, python not and it was on by default
> > 2. Vim static is the choice for slim solutions.
>
> Just for the record:
>
> $ rpm -q --qf '%-12{NAME}: %{SIZE}\n' perl-base python-libs ruby tcl vim-rt
> perl-base   : 2936355
vim needs just perl-libs (at least on AC) --
$ rpm -q --qf '%-12{NAME}: %{SIZE}\n' perl-libs
perl-libs   : 1146552

vim works with just perl-libs, but do the perl functions actually work -- no
idea never used language bindings.

> python-libs : 1828755
> ruby        : 1094668
> tcl         : 4306684
> vim-rt      : 14952921
>
> (assuming that libs packages suffice to run vim without complaints)
>
> But the original question was: do particular language support overhead is
> worth its benefits?
i believe not.

> Are there already some packaged or custom vim addons which need all these
> languages?
afaik none.

the language bindings should be dynamic -- loaded at runtime if needed that
would be sane solution :)

seems currently impossible as the code is full of #ifdef FEAT_<INTERPRETER>

--
glen