Re: [RFC] Repository layout change / Zmiana układu repo

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun May 13 22:58:39 CEST 2007

On May 13, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Jan Rekorajski wrote:

> EN:
>
> We all know that CVS sucks, less for some (me included) and more for
> others.  But, if we want to switch to anything else, we have to change
> the repository layout from flat SPECS/SOURCES to dir-per-package,
> because any other CMS won't handle such layout (you can imagine how
> would SVN repo look like - a ~milion directories, and GIT just doesn't
> scale - I did a test on SPECS and got a monstrosity).
>
> I have script to rebuild repo to dir-per-package, I did basic
> support in
> builder script and did some testing (converted a local copy, worked a
> while with new repo), so we can do the switch anytime.
>
> Any thoughts? Comments?

I build using rpmrc, macros, xrpm from
     http://wraptastic.org/pub/jbj
for many years now. The lazy mkdirs on
     rpm -Uvh foo*.src.rpm
with %{name} extracted from the installed header
have been in rpm forever (note rpm -ta foo*.tar don't work. <shrug>)

How the nuild element repository is organized is a separate question,
per-pkg
directory containers makes lots of sense to me, as well as to
most other CMS source code repositores, although each has
to organize the gook slightly differently, sigh.

73 de Jeff