[RFC] Repository layout change / Zmiana układu repo

Mariusz Mazur mmazur at kernel.pl
Mon May 14 15:39:35 CEST 2007

Dnia niedziela, 13 maja 2007, Jan Rekorajski napisał:
> EN:
>
> We all know that CVS sucks, less for some (me included) and more for
> others.  But, if we want to switch to anything else, we have to change
> the repository layout from flat SPECS/SOURCES to dir-per-package,
> because any other CMS won't handle such layout (you can imagine how
> would SVN repo look like - a ~milion directories, and GIT just doesn't
> scale - I did a test on SPECS and got a monstrosity).
>
> I have script to rebuild repo to dir-per-package, I did basic support in
> builder script and did some testing (converted a local copy, worked a
> while with new repo), so we can do the switch anytime.
>
> Any thoughts? Comments?

Small easy steps is what I propose. Actually setting up a dual solution
(current structure + a 'packages' modules) should be quite trivial in CVS.
It's just a matter of running a script to generate the 'packages' module
server side with lots of links (whether soft or hard) and adding appropriate
triggers for cvs rm/add operations (to generate/remove those links when
appropriate and bail out on conflicts).

It's a few hours worth of work tops. Don't know about locking, but that should
also be doable.

This way we'll be able to actually more or less test this, before making major
changes (like completely switching to svn, which btw probably wouldn't allow
something like this server side) and it'll be flexible. And who knows, maybe
after a couple of months we'll see people actually switching to this solution
on their own, thereby freeing us from having to support the old structure.

And even if not, we can always look for some scm with better merging and
branching, that would also allow this (which svn most likely does not). But
not sooner then in a few months.

Any takers? Baggins?

--
Judge others by their intentions and yourself by your results.
                                                                 Guy Kawasaki