Re: [RFC] Repository layout change / Zmiana układu repo

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Sun May 13 23:09:30 CEST 2007

On 5/13/07, Radoslaw Zielinski <radek at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-05-2007 21:58]:
> > Why?
> Why what?

Why do you believe all RCS tools suck?

> > What are the problems?
> Off the top of my head:
>  - excessive metadata (CVS/Entries is just a few dozen bytes per file)

Disk space is cheap.

>  - $Log$

No need for it as rpm can build the log from the SVN log output.

>  - existing tools / macros / aliases / one liners / whatever

Which ones? Builder was reported as already adapted.

> We have tamed CVS over the years and know how to deal with its
> shortcomings.  The only real unsolved problem is lack of "cvs mv", but
> this could be changed with far less work than changing VCS, if someone
> cared enough.

What about atomic commits? Having the spec and ALL related files from
SOURCES tagged with the same revision?

> If you know the answer (or so you think), what's the point of asking?

You didn't provide any real life issues and all that were raised on
this list could easily be solved with a small potion of bash magic.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
Generated Content