[RFC] Repository layout change / Zmiana układu repo

Radoslaw Zielinski radek at pld-linux.org
Sun May 13 23:54:42 CEST 2007

Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-05-2007 23:09]:
> On 5/13/07, Radoslaw Zielinski <radek at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> > Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-05-2007 21:58]:
> > > Why?
> > Why what?
> Why do you believe all RCS tools suck?

Because I haven't seen one that doesn't.

> > > What are the problems?
> > Off the top of my head:
> >  - excessive metadata (CVS/Entries is just a few dozen bytes per file)
> Disk space is cheap.

That's no reason for wasting it.  Two copies + metadata in case of
SVN is over the line (one copy with SVK).

> >  - $Log$
> No need for it as rpm can build the log from the SVN log output.

svn log is an online operation.

And there is no point in removing %changelog in the first place.

> >  - existing tools / macros / aliases / one liners / whatever
> Which ones? Builder was reported as already adapted.

df/request-handler.pl.  CVSROOT/*.  My ~/bin contains two.  No, I don't
claim these are hard to update.  But *what for*?

> > We have tamed CVS over the years and know how to deal with its
> > shortcomings.  The only real unsolved problem is lack of "cvs mv", but
> > this could be changed with far less work than changing VCS, if someone
> > cared enough.
> What about atomic commits? Having the spec and ALL related files from
> SOURCES tagged with the same revision?

Really, I don't see a need for that.  Yeah, eliminating the race
condition would be nice... but AFAIK it has never happened.  Tags
just do the trick.

> > If you know the answer (or so you think), what's the point of asking?
> You didn't provide any real life issues and all that were raised on
> this list could easily be solved with a small potion of bash magic.

I'll wait for the proponents of the change to provide the `real life
issues' which would disappear.  I mean, the ones which can't be solved
with bash magic.

--
Radosław Zieliński <radek at pld-linux.org>