[th] rpm.spec - packaging problem

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri Nov 9 15:34:30 CET 2007

2007/11/9, Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com>:
> On Nov 9, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > On Friday 09 of November 2007, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> >> Last year rpm switched the /etc/rpm/sysinfo syntax. Now it expects
> >> /etc/rpm/sysinfo to be a directory with following files inside:
> >
> > Not "expects". It simply supports both schemas.
> >
> >> Therefore I propose fixing the packaging to adapt the new upstream
> >> format.
> >
> > Go for it :-)
> But be prepared for the next generalization (and levels of
> incompatibility)
> when I get around to using YAML instead of the /etc/rpm/sysinfo file
> (originally)
> or directory tree (currently).
>
> What I'd like to see is a seamless representation where the YAML
> hierarchy
> or the directory hierarchy can be used interchangeably for carrying
> around
> wads of metadata organized in a hierarchical fashion.

Are there plans on supporting an API to modify this data? I mean other
than launching vim and typing stuff by hand I'd like to be able to use
- say - Python and write:

rpmds.AddNode(parent = None, type = rpmds.REQUIRES, nevra = someNevra,
rel = rpmdb.GREATER_EQUAL)

or something similar not having to care about the file format.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution