[Fwd: Re: [Th] Upgrade apport - jak rozumiec' ten b?a;d?]

Marcin Krol hawk at limanowa.net
Wed Apr 9 20:58:52 CEST 2008

> I dont understand why making 3 lines of distro (with all the time and
> work effort) which almost are identical (or becomes to be)

Just a few thoughts that I wanted to share...

I gave up Ac as some updates/changes were impossible to do or shoudn't
take place in stable distro (glibc, gcc, kernel, modular xorg). There is
no way that Ac will be even close to Th without very drastic changes.
When no one except RM will use Ac then it will probably die after some
time (like Ra did). Its sad that so many problems exist in current
stable line (judging from mail lists and opinions that I've received on
priv). Personally I was only affected by rpm 4.4.9 problems, but "hold =
rpm*" have fixed them :) Probably all of these issues could be resolved
before broken packages were moved to updates if enough people would use
ready tree and report bugs. Remember: if no one is testing pakcages and
they work ok for RM then they will be moved to updates. Belive me, I know :)

I've started Titanium because (as mentioned above) there was no way to
force some updates/changes in Ac that I needed. My own fork assures that
I may change whatever I need and there is no way that someone will force
me to change that back. Titanium will be very similar to Th as I'm using
HEAD versions of packages (there are just few exceptions). Basically it
is and will be "what Hawk needs" as long as I own this fork. I'm just
sharing work that I'd have to do anyway. I'm also glad that some people
found Titanium usable, switched to it and are now helping me by sending
problem reports, ideas etc.

Thanks for reading :)

M.