Packaging .py files

Bartosz Taudul wolf.pld at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 11:24:24 CEST 2008

2008/7/17 Mariusz Mazur <mmazur at kernel.pl>:
> > Yes, condoning bad code practices is the way to go. Go install your
> > ubuntu.
> It's "bad" in theory. In practice, for the past maaaany years nobody gives a
> shit about theory in case of /bin/sh.
Bad for them.

> So that's top score for theory and a FAIL on the reality check.
Flushing quality down the toilet is not an option.

> > Half the time the original developers "don't have a clue", so your
> > argument fails.
> Then fix upstream.
The number of sane developers without inferiority complex is very low
and I don't like to talk with idiots if I don't have to.

> I'd rather default to assuming that the guys who wrote
> the stuff know better than Joe Random Developer does. I'm actually *using*
> their code, so I kind of assume they have some kind of clue.
I actually have enough *experience* to *know* that most of the time they don't.

> > > (python -- I'm
> > > quite sure it's authors never meant for it to be distributed the way we
> > > do)
> > The more I know about python the more I am assured it's a joke language.
> That's not an argument.
Running debug code by default and requiring special knobs for having
release code ran is kind of funny if I don't have to use it.

> > > The only part where we actually prefer not to have bash is where our own
> > > (made in-house) scripts are concerned.
> > You and who else?
> And concerning the point of that sentence? Anything you'd like to say? Maybe
> that it's false or sth? With some specific reasons as to why?
Of course it's false. You are speaking strictly for yourself, yet you
are manipulating everyone to think that's a widely applauded opinion
(by using "we" instead of "I").

> > Bullshit. The scripts that expect bash have "#!/bin/bash" in header, not
> > "#!/bin/sh".
> That's true only for the scripts whose authors (a) know there are distros that
> don't use bash as sh
You were saying something about developers "having a clue" recently?

> (b) give a shit.
We know that you don't.

Our way? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh

> (what exactly do we gain?).