Packaging .py files

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Thu Jul 17 19:47:31 CEST 2008

2008/7/17 Jakub Bogusz <qboosh at pld-linux.org>:
> And remember that most of software we use (except some system tools)
> could be used on UNIX, not just Linux.

That's true. And it's also true we are now forced by our own policies
to "fix" stuff that *might* become a future issue to some obscure *NIX
implementation. I'm not against going for a perfect world. I'm against
being forced to do something counter-productive in order to get some
work done (and I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one to package stuff
that I actually need).

In other words - we are one of the most limited distros when it comes
to resources. Pursuing a dream is one thing but we should not be
forced to do it. I'm not sure I want to lose my job for the sake of
saving the world. I want to be able to easily install a package and
get the goddamn python sources. Sure pydoc is useful but it's only
useful to the extent man is - you have to know the name of the
function in which case you probably don't need pydoc anymore (API
changes or implementation details that change but some coder decided
to rely on).

Not to mention the friggin' codegen.{py,pyc} substitution we need to
do for most of the packages containing bindings.

> Is there any other OS (beside some Linux distros and Hurd) which uses
> bash as sh?

Is there any PSD Solaris Distribution? (same kind of question)

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution