Two serious problems with Ac

Andrzej 'The Undefined' Dopierała undefine at aramin.net
Wed Mar 12 23:53:44 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 07:30:00PM +0100, Jacek Rzęsista wrote:
> > 1. module-init-tools (3.2.2-3) has broken modinfo (and probably more
> > stuff). It doesn't work with 2.4 kernel. Try 'modinfo piix' or any other
> > module. It will say you something like
> > "/lib/modules/2.4.35-1smp/drivers/ide/pci/piix.o.gz: No such file or
> > directory". But file exists and has correct permissions. On 2.6.x
> > kernels it works ok.
> >
> > Since geninitrd is using modinfo there is currently no way to generate
> > initrd for 2.4.x kernels.
> Hmmm,  it's seems more complicated :) All depends on version of geninitrd -
> with geninitrd-8385-1 all works OK, when I've upgraded geninitrd to version
> geninitrd-9000.5-1 - any try to generate initrd failed (I had communicate
> something like "couldn't find module aacraid"). When I've downgraded
> geninitrd - initrd was generated.
older geninitrd didn't invoked modinfo - it just self parsed dependencies.
Bug is in modinfo from module-init-tools which didn't support 2.4 format
of modules.dep, or in modutils, which generate bad modules.dep...

> Lately I had also problem with upgrade rpm from 4.4.2 to 4.4.9 - rpm database
> was cleared. Any --rebuilddb didn't help.
weirdy..
i upgraded nearly all my machines (including machines on i686, athlon,
amd64, alpha, sparc... ;) - and i haven't any problem with clearing rpm
database.
I always:
- install lzma
- upgrade -G poldek rpm