SOURCES: rpm-mimetype.patch (NEW) - automatically generate mimetype(...) pr...

Marcin Banasiak megabajt at pld-linux.org
Mon May 19 10:05:50 CEST 2008

Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> could you describe value from this patch? does any packagemanager process
> these? any desktop apps require such deps?

As Patryk said, PackageKit (I hope 0.2.2 will already support it [1])
will use this kind of data to allow the user to install application
which can open files with the given MIME type.

In the future, this functionality can be integrated into applications
such as Nautilus or Thunar.

Of course, you can use poldek too to find application which can open
files with the given MIME type.

For example:

poldek:/all-avail> what-provides mimetype(text/plain)
6 package(s) found:
gedit2-2.22.1-1.i686
gvim-athena-7.1.291-2.i686
gvim-gnome-7.1.291-2.i686
gvim-gtk-7.1.291-2.i686
gvim-motif-7.1.291-2.i686
vim-7.1.291-2.i686

[1] gpk-install-mime-type "text/plain" and sample result of this
command:
http://carme.pld-linux.org/~megabajt/images/gpk-install-mime-type.png

--
Marcin Banasiak