gdm 2.24.0

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Mon Oct 13 12:34:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Radoslaw Zielinski
<radek at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> I have backed out gdm 2.24.0 to DEVEL.  Reasons:
>
> 1) does not work: hangs the keyboard (only SysRq works) and the
>   "Shutdown" / "Reboot" buttons do nothing

It does work - our SystemV starts mingetty after X and tty1 steals
keyboard input (Xorg takes the first free vte upon start, this is not
a gdm problem).

Possible solutions:

- install upstart-SystemV which brings ttys up before X - that's what
most distros do

- move gdm startup to /etc/inittab - that's what the rest of the distros do

- force Xorg to use a certain tty (there used to be a hack in GDM 2.20
for this as at this time Xorg did not have vte detection of its own,
now detection is the recommended way to start Xorg as it allows one to
have unlimited Xorg instances on one machine)

> 2) it's not finished, according to http://live.gnome.org/GDM

Wrong, I'm a GNOME dev and can assure you it's part of GNOME 2.24 release.

> Please keep the HEAD in a working state...  It's actually being *used*.

See above. Please move it back to HEAD.

--
Patryk Zawadzki