gdm 2.24.0

Radoslaw Zielinski radek at pld-linux.org
Mon Oct 13 13:43:56 CEST 2008

Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-10-2008 12:34]:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Radoslaw Zielinski
> <radek at pld-linux.org> wrote:
>> I have backed out gdm 2.24.0 to DEVEL.  Reasons:

>> 1) does not work: hangs the keyboard (only SysRq works) and the
>>   "Shutdown" / "Reboot" buttons do nothing

> It does work

A statement...

> - our SystemV starts mingetty after X and tty1 steals keyboard input
> (Xorg takes the first free vte upon start, this is not a gdm problem).

...and an explanation why this statement is false.  Sorry, unless it
allows me to log in, I don't consider it working.

> Possible solutions:

> - install upstart-SystemV which brings ttys up before X - that's what
> most distros do

Conflicts: SysVinit then?

> - move gdm startup to /etc/inittab - that's what the rest of the distros do

R: rc-scripts-V-R ?

> - force Xorg to use a certain tty (there used to be a hack in GDM 2.20
> for this as at this time Xorg did not have vte detection of its own,
> now detection is the recommended way to start Xorg as it allows one to
> have unlimited Xorg instances on one machine)

How?

>> 2) it's not finished, according to http://live.gnome.org/GDM
> Wrong, I'm a GNOME dev and can assure you it's part of GNOME 2.24 release.

Ah.  gdmsetup is no more?  No word about it in ChangeLog nor in the
release notes...

>> Please keep the HEAD in a working state...  It's actually being *used*.
> See above. Please move it back to HEAD.

Please feel free to do it yourself, after making sure it works (with
Conflicts/Requires where necessary).

--
Radosław Zieliński <radek at pld-linux.org>