gdm 2.24.0

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Mon Oct 13 14:16:15 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Jan Rekorajski
<baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>> R: upstart-SystemV
> Try doing that and gdm will end up in /dev/null.

Because? AFAIK upstart is going to be default for Th at some point.
upstart-SystemV is built from SystemV sources and is a compatibility
mode for apps not using upstart event scripts.

> No? Really? Damn, that must have been a miracle it worked for me for more
> than 10 years...

Xorg devs prefer if we let Xorg pick the vte. It worked for you
because back then Xorg did not do this and gdm forced vte9.

>> Don't ask me, we use a pretty non-standard and not-recommended method
>> to start gdm.
> What was the problem with forcing a tty number in default config?

See above.

> It worked for years. And BTW having multiple Xorg instances on one
> machine is a very non-standard thing, so why should we care?

It's pretty standard for any computer with user switching if you ask me.

>> It's a new app written from scratch. A more correct statement would be
>> "everything is no more."
> As usual with Gnome, total fuck up first, maybe clean up later. A lot later.

Please elaborate on that on GNOME lists or /dev/null.

> BTW When will you (you as Gnome develpoers) fix session handling (like
> save/restore)?

When you file a proper bug report.

>> Will do.
> We'll see, and smite you if you screw this up again.

Sure, sure. Either propose a working solution or kiss my tail -1

--
Patryk Zawadzki