gdm 2.24.0

Jan Rekorajski baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Oct 13 14:06:21 CEST 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

> 2008/10/13 Radoslaw Zielinski <radek at pld-linux.org>:
> > Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-10-2008 12:34]:
> >> It does work
> > A statement...
>
> Want a screenshot? I have 3 machines running it at the moment.
>
> >> - our SystemV starts mingetty after X and tty1 steals keyboard input
> >> (Xorg takes the first free vte upon start, this is not a gdm problem).
> > ...and an explanation why this statement is false.  Sorry, unless it
> > allows me to log in, I don't consider it working.
>
> PLD rc is broken, not gdm.
>
> >> Possible solutions:
> >
> >> - install upstart-SystemV which brings ttys up before X - that's what
> >> most distros do
> > Conflicts: SysVinit then?
>
> R: upstart-SystemV

Try doing that and gdm will end up in /dev/null.

> Conflicts would prevent both.
>
> >> - move gdm startup to /etc/inittab - that's what the rest of the distros do
> > R: rc-scripts-V-R ?
>
> This can't be done in PLD unless we replace gdm-init with some sort of
> a configurable *dm chooser that we add to inittab which is not likely.
>
> >> - force Xorg to use a certain tty (there used to be a hack in GDM 2.20
> >> for this as at this time Xorg did not have vte detection of its own,

No? Really? Damn, that must have been a miracle it worked for me for more
than 10 years...

> >> now detection is the recommended way to start Xorg as it allows one to
> >> have unlimited Xorg instances on one machine)
> > How?
>
> Don't ask me, we use a pretty non-standard and not-recommended method
> to start gdm.

What was the problem with forcing a tty number in default config?
It worked for years. And BTW having multiple Xorg instances on one
machine is a very non-standard thing, so why should we care?

> >> Wrong, I'm a GNOME dev and can assure you it's part of GNOME 2.24 release.
> > Ah.  gdmsetup is no more?  No word about it in ChangeLog nor in the
> > release notes...
>
> It's a new app written from scratch. A more correct statement would be
> "everything is no more."

As usual with Gnome, total fuck up first, maybe clean up later. A lot later.

BTW When will you (you as Gnome develpoers) fix session handling (like
save/restore)?

> >> See above. Please move it back to HEAD.
> > Please feel free to do it yourself, after making sure it works (with
> > Conflicts/Requires where necessary).
>
> Will do.

We'll see, and smite you if you screw this up again.

Janek
--
Jan Rekorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?