CONFIG_DEVTMPFS

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Wed Dec 16 14:10:56 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 01:50:45PM +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> Adding uname(release) requirements to new geninitrd releases should
> deal with older kernels.

Yeah… all we need is yet another uname(release) dependency…

This way we will get  to choose: geninitrd or udev (or anything what
depends on it) or have e.g. working Xserver (last time I tried the
newest kernel didn't work with ATI cards, as kernel forced KMS and our
Xserver's ATI drivers couldn't handle it yet). All because some feature,
which could stay (maybe optional), was dropped, as 'obsoleted' by some
newest kernel feature… Fortunately, there is still the 'kernel-ltm'
package in th…

Enabling CONFIG_DEVTMPFS may be good as it would help solve many
problems occurring with our current systems (most of us had probably
seen a system with useless empty /dev after some boot or udev problem),
without need to update (much) any of core packages. It could be used to
simplify things, but such simplification is not worth breaking
compatibility again.

Greets,
        Jacek