CONFIG_DEVTMPFS

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Wed Dec 16 19:26:45 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 02:10:56PM +0100, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> Enabling CONFIG_DEVTMPFS may be good as it would help solve
> many problems occurring with our current systems (most of us
> had probably seen a system with useless empty /dev after some
> boot or udev problem), without need to update (much) any of
> core packages. It could be used to simplify things, but such
> simplification is not worth breaking compatibility again.

JFYI, I've done dev-minimal package in ALT Linux
hoping to use it for this very reason: some bare /dev
in case modern stuff fails again.

Unfortunately didn't get around to integrating it to distros
(hmm... maybe today is the day? ;-), only installed by hand
on a few systems.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>