CONFIG_DEVTMPFS

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Thu Dec 17 16:23:52 CET 2009

On Thursday 17 December 2009 10:49:33 Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> The problem is udev providing the nodes won't help if tmpfs was already
> mounted at /dev when udev is installed

just in case, you weren't thinking so far, or just didn't know, you can still
install the udev nodes if /dev is mounted.

mount --move /dev /mnt
rpm -Uhv udev.rpm
mount --move /mnt /dev

or if you don't want/can't to move:

mount --bind / /mnt
cp -a /somewhere/dev /mnt/dev # or mknod directly
umount /mnt

but imho, we should put /dev contents of udev also into /lib/udev/devices, so
that in case /dev is empty due tmpfs mount when it was installed, you still
get at least the initial console (our /sbin/start_udev
supports /lib/udev/devices), or _at_least_ /dev/console, as if /dev/console
is missing you can't login even with ssh as it seems to stall somewhere at
startup.

--
glen