CONFIG_DEVTMPFS

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu Dec 17 09:49:33 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 09:40:32AM +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > Unfortunately didn't get around to integrating it to distros
> > (hmm... maybe today is the day? ;-), only installed by hand
> > on a few systems.
>
> We have udev package providing the minimum required to launch shells
> (/dev/zero, /dev/console etc.).

The problem is udev providing the nodes won't help if tmpfs was already
mounted at /dev when udev is installed (often a case during chroot
installs or upgrades). And the minimum is not enough for e.g. proper
initrd building (which may fail during chroot install/upgrade when udev
tmps is not mounted). We can say these problems are human mistakes, not
package defects, but CONFIG_DEVTMPFS could help a lot in such cases. Of
course, when it is implemented correctly. Let's wait.

Greets,
        Jacek